Sunday, August 27, 2006

This one's for you, Shelly


Wow. I don't post a cake picture for SLIGHTLY over a week and I start feeling guilty because people (I won't mention names) aren't getting their usual fix of pics my edible art. I SO hate to be old and boring. And I SO love having such awesome fans.

So here you go. THIS delicious little treat of a cake was crafted for one of the birthday girl's co-workers. He's a wonderful man who's been very good to her. He was turning 61 last week and his wife was going to be out of town on his birthday, so daughter asked if I'd make him a little birthday cake that she could take in to work on his day. Although he toils daily in the field of photography, he truly loves his farm and his garden, and especially his tomatoes.

So I made him a little 6-inch two-layer chocolate fudge cake, smothered in fudge frosting and decorated with a white fondant picket fence which supported 12 buttercream tomato plants bearing 5 fondant tomatoes, each. The 61st tomato is found just to the right of the "y" in "Birthday."

I hear that the cake was devoured without proper forks, plates or napkins, but with proper reckless abandon and nearly endless licking of fingers. Chocolate can do that to a person. Or so I hear.

I have no orders for the week ahead, but stay tuned during the week after -- I'll be crafting an incredibly chic cake for my mother-in-law's birthday. And I have to ship it overnight to NYC. Keep either your fingers crossed or me in your prayers, whichever works for you, that this cake makes it there in one piece. Or I shall surely be daughter-in-law non-grata.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

its really beautiful. :) especially, the 61 tomatoes thought. :) here's a very popular and very easy-to-make indian dessert, halwa (wheat flour fudge):

ingredients:
Wheat flour - 1 cup
Unsalted butter - 1 stick (my mom puts in the same measure as the flour)
Water - 2 cups
Sugar - 1&1/2 cup (my mom puts in the same measure as the flour)
Chopped almonds (optional) - 1 tablespoon
Raisin (optional) - 1 tablespoon

how to:
Heat butter in a pan on low heat. Add wheat flour and fry until it gets light brown. Then add water and sugar. Stir constantly until it thickens. Serve hot. Almonds and raisin may be added for garnish.

HOLMES said...

61 tomatoes!! You are a genius.

Thanks for the comments on my blog.

I assume that college coaches get paid more because their players are feeding into the NFL and NBA... I dunno. I would think working in a college would be easier since there is a whole FLEET of coaches that can divide up jobs instead of a group of ten that have to be all things to all people.

Beats me!

Anonymous said...

K-Girl,
If you can figure out how to get that cake to NYC for the M-I-L, do you think there's a shot at doing my retirement cake? (Altho I'd much rather have to charge my co-workers for a plane ticket to fly here with it on your lap.
Your favorite old cousin - m

Kevin said...

Oh HELL yes, favorite old cousin m ;-)

I DO think now that I could do your retirement cake with no problem (what's that phrase about pride goeth-ing before a fall?) It just has to be a relatively small and simple, yet incredibly clever and creative, cake. In other words -- it won't feed 100 adoring coworkers, so they'll have to get a sheetcake from the local grocery store to actually FEED people -- but it will be an awesome little cake! I'll email you further. Been meaning to do that, anyway, for about two weeks now.