Sunday, March 11, 2007

Bridal Shower


Now we come 'round to the beginning of the season of the reason for this entire cake-decorating adventure I've been on for the past year ... eldest daughter's bridal shower was last night, and here's the cake I made.

It's a rendering of her gown -- not exactly the same, but close enough. The skirt was baked in a Pampered Chef batter bowl, then stack on top of a 9" round (all chocolate, of course.) Iced in buttercream. Fondant gown. Sugar glitter stuck on the appropriate places with light corn syrup.

And that mannequin that the dress is hanging on ... that's a Barbie doll with her head and arms ripped off, covered with black fondant. I knew there'd be a good use for all these old Barbie dolls one day!

2 comments:

HOLMES said...

Two things.

1. I used to rip the arms off of my Barbies and eat the hands. I am sure there is a Freudian explanation, but when you described this cake it's what I thought of.

2. Dustin started a new job today and the company had a welcoming party for him and the other new employee. He just called me and said, "They had a cake for us. Super fancy, stuff all over it-- it looked like one of Kevin's cakes."

Shelly

Kevin said...

1. Freud: You knew that hands are the most important element involved with human creativity and expression, and you were angered at Barbie's inability to create a darn thing with those weird looking little hands, so you ate them. Or: You had an odd form of pica.

2. I'm famous! Even Dustin knows about my cakes! Did he take any pictures? I'd love to see the cake.